As we’ve mentioned before, FIVE Condos has been getting a lot of praise for its thoughtful incorporation of the site’s heritage buildings within its design.
The project will integrate 5-9 St. Joseph St., 606-618 Yonge St. and 15-25 St. Nicholas St. The podium will be built on the old Rawlinson warehouse. St. Nicholas Street is a small forgotten cobblestone alleyway; the FIVE project will revitalize it by introducing a variety of shops and restaurants.
Today, we’re traveling back in time to find out a little more about some of the heritage buildings neighbouring FIVE condos.
The buildings at 610 Yonge, 5 St. Joseph(built 1905-1907), 11 St. Joseph(built in 1898), 9 St. Nicholas (built in 1913) and 15 St. Nicholas formed a commercial block. They were all designed by the firms of Dick and Wickson, A. Frank Wickson and Wickson and Gregg. The architecture of their facades was common of commercial buildings in 1890s Toronto when arched openings, decorative brickwork and stone details were the norm.
The block belonged to Rawlinson Cartage, which was one of the oldest express and storage firms in Toronto. The main shop was at 610 Yonge St, with their warehouse located on St. Joseph and St. Nicholas St.
We also found a few old images of other buildings just a few blocks away from the current FIVE location.
Here’s what the neighbourhood looked like in 1914: